- University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising
University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising
- LanguagesCatalan, Spanish
- Duration1 academic year
- ShiftsLate afternoon/Evening
From 6 pm to 9.30 pm
- DateOctober 15, 2022
Blanquerna-URL - Plaça Joan Coromines. 08001 Barcelona
School of Communication and International Relations
Who is it for?
The University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising is aimed at university graduates who want to study the professional applications of art direction in depth, usually in connection with advertising projects, although it is also involved in many other sectors (publishing, branding, graphic design, multimedia, etc.) in which art directors are essential.
Master degree taught with the support of
Great scope for professional growth
The extensive experience of the School's teaching staff and their permanent contact with professional practice have enabled us to constantly update the content of the course
Advertising planning and strategy tools.
Case studies and advertising projects, publishing, branding, multimedia and social media.
If you choose the Blanquerna University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising, you choose...
A guaranteed future career.
- Compulsory internships in leading companies in the sector.
- Faculty trained by professionals working in the field of art direction and advertising.
- Real cases with the support of participating companies.
- Career guidance at the end of your course with the support of the Blanquerna Alumni network.
University master degrees allow you to choose a professional track or a research track
The professional curriculum is designed so that you acquire the knowledge and experience needed to focus your future career on one of the many opportunities the degree has to offer.
The research curriculum is designed to train researchers at the highest level and for access to the PhD.
employment rate (specific data for master degree, according to AQU)
agreements with companies (general School data)
agreements with international universities (general School data)
Training in line with your interests and professional future
The curriculum of university master degrees is structured to respond to the need to update knowledge of the professional world, and to build a solid methodological base that allows students to undertake a research project with confidence.
|Master's degree project||10|
|Professional areas of specialization in art direction||3||Compulsory|
|Foundations visual of graphics||3||Compulsory|
|Languages and formats of the art direction||5||Compulsory|
|Strategic and creative platforms in design, advertising and branding||3||Compulsory|
|Optional credits of the master||4||Optional|
|Metodologia avançada de la recerca|
|Optional credits from other master's programs||4||Optional|
|The management of communication in organizations and the communicative management of crises|
|Rhetoric and writing techniques|
|Creative management of the project process||3||Compulsory|
|Art direction in digital media||5||Compulsory|
|Creative project and the art direction||3||Compulsory|
|Technology as a strategic and creative tool||3||Compulsory|
|Optional credits of the master||Optional|
|Production and graphical, audio-visual and multimedia management||4|
|Optional credits from other master's programs||4||Optional|
|The Far East and Latin America|
|Marketing and cultural events management|
|International Cooperation and Inequalities|
|Commercialization and distribution of audiovisual products|
|Innovation, producction and hipermedia report|
|University Master's Degree Seminar||6||Compulsory|
|Final Master's Degree Project||10||Master's degree project|
Internships in Art Direction in Advertising
External internships at companies and institutions are a key part of the learning process. Through them, students have direct contact with the professional world, where they will be able to apply the knowledge acquired at university. Internships provide the student with an overview of the communication and operating dynamics of the medium, company, or institution where they are gaining work experience. The School has agreements with upwards of 1,200 companies, where students are prepared to enter the working world.
An internship in an environment fully adapted to your interests and availability
Based on interviews with students, each academic year we establish new agreements for cooperation with companies and organizations directly related to the professional field of the master degree. The internship will be customized to the characteristics of each student, taking both academic aspects and availability into account.
Objectives of the internship
- Learn about real working conditions in the field of art direction.
- Apply the knowledge acquired in the master degree to real cases.
- Build a network of contacts in the sector.
Internships at the School
- The master degree ensures that each student will be able to do an internship within a company in a position related to their sector.
- Each student will have an advisor who will ensure they comply with the internship's objectives and take full advantage of the experience.
Where can you do your internship?
BBDO España · BUM Blasi Urgell i Morales · Carrots Comunicación · Contrapunto BBDO · CP Proximity Barcelona · DDB Barcelona · DEC BBDO · DreiBlau · Evil Love · Firma · Hospital Vall d'Hebron · Innuo · Catalan Institute of Health · J. Walter Thompson · Nivoria · Ogilvy Barcelona · Paradise Falls · Promotourist · Quin Team · Saatchi & Saatchi Healthcare · SCPF · Shackleton Barcelona · Slogan · TBWA Barcelona · Treehouse · Vasava · VMLY&R
Master degree thesis
The final master degree thesis allows you to put all the knowledge you have acquired into practice. It involves the preparation of a project, based on an original idea or approach, dealing with a significant aspect of communication, from a professional or research perspective.
With regard to the professional track, the thesis must be an extension of some aspect of the syllabus (as a project or as a way to contextualize various concepts) or it may be linked to an internship (as an analysis and proposal for improvement). For the research track, the thesis is a project that must be consistent with the research that students intend to carry out for their future doctoral thesis, either by investigating the state of the issue or by applying a particular research method.
For the professional track, the thesis requires students to formulate an innovative project related to professional work in the field studied in the course. As a guide, the project must include at least the following sections:
- Presentation of the specific topic chosen and justification of its importance, originality and professional relevance; analysis of the environment and opportunities.
- Apply the methodology to a closely defined professional field or analyze the project's strengths and weaknesses.
- Structure and content of the project to be carried out, definition of the main concepts and arguments.
- Bibliography, filmography or documentation required for the project.
For the research track, as a guide, the thesis must include at least the following sections:
- Presentation of the specific topic chosen and justification of its importance, originality and academic relevance.
- State of the issue.
- Research problem objectives and/or hypotheses.
- Method, specifying the object of study and research techniques.
- Bibliography, documentation and materials needed for research.
The thesis works on and applies the conceptual, technical and professional tools needed to carry out the tasks of advertising strategy and creativity.
The thesis is monitored by means of regular tutorials with the professor supervising it, including final approval of bibliographic research and data collection, discussing the project with the supervisor and writing the text itself.
The thesis will be publicly defended before a panel made up of three professors from the master degree program. The final (numerical) assessment of the thesis is recorded as a single result, based on the oral exam (30%), the evaluation of projects, reviews and reports (60%) and an assessment of attitudes and learning procedures (10%).
The Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising opens up a very diverse range of job opportunities.
Art director (advertising agency, studio, freelance or in-house for a brand)
Layout and final artwork
Designer and manager of brand presence on networks
Art director for events, stands, street marketing campaigns, product performances, etc.
Companies that trust our students
A direct link to your future career
Our work doesn't finish the moment you graduate. The Alumni department will support you to enable us to achieve an employment rate of 90% of students in the first year after graduation
State-of-the-art equipment at the students' disposal
All the services you need during your time at the school
Agustin Amate Bonachera
University master degrees are official degrees awarded by the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training, in accordance with the requirements of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) and the guidelines set out in the Bologna Declaration. To access the official master degree, you must hold an official Spanish university degree, or a degree from another country that is part of the European Higher Education Area. Access to master degree studies is regulated by Royal Decree 822/2021, of 28 September.
These studies are also open to students with a degree issued by an education system outside the European Higher Education Area, who do not need to have it approved, provided that the level of training is equivalent to that of an official Spanish degree and that, in the country of origin, the degree gives access to graduate studies. However, admission does not in any case imply the convalidation of the degree or any other type of recognition beyond allowing the student to access master and graduate studies at the University.
Students who have a degree in a field other than Communication Sciences (Audio-visual Communication, Journalism or Advertising and Public Relations) will have to complete a supplementary training module equivalent to between 15 and 60 credits, depending on the original degree.
The application process consists of two parts:
Students can pre-enroll online (by accessing Pre-enrollment | Blanquerna or the pre-enrollment option for each course). You can also pre-enroll in person at the School. During the process, the candidate must submit the required documentation:
- ID card, passport or NIE residence card
There is no charge for this procedure. When the pre-enrollment process has been completed, you will obtain a receipt with pre-enrollment details and a pre-enrollment code (CIB).
When pre-enrollment has been completed, the candidate will be offered a date for an interview with the director and/or coordinator of the master degree, who will assess their suitability and resolve any doubts they may have about the course for which they are enrolling. For the selection of candidates the following will be taken into account:
- Academic record.
- Personal interview.
- Professional experience.
Once the assessment is complete, the student will be informed of the result of the interview and how to enroll, if admitted. Once admission has been confirmed, the candidate will have to pay €100 as a reservation fee, using the same application via which pre-enrollment was processed. This amount will be considered a reservation fee and will be deducted from the total price of enrollment when it is formalized. Payment is by credit or debit card using a secure, confidential process. The amount paid as a reservation fee will not be refunded under any circumstances, unless the course is canceled.
Students who are admitted can choose between two options, depending on whether or not they already qualify for university admission:
- Conditional enrollment: This option is available to students who have not yet obtained a bachelor degree and who want to study a master degree at the same time. For conditional enrollment, students need to be enrolled for the pending credits in their bachelor degree. This is subject to a maximum of 9 credits and the bachelor degree thesis. The master degree thesis cannot be graded, and the master degree cannot, therefore, be awarded, until the student has completed the bachelor degree. The student must sign a document accepting the terms of conditional enrollment.
- Definitive enrollment
Enrollment is definitive if the student already meets the requirements for admission.
Enrollment is the final step in the procedure to access the master degree. Students will be informed individually of the enrollment date. When enrollment is complete, and the corresponding fee has been paid, the student will have secured a place. Course fees are paid in installments without any interest. When students enrol, they will have two business days to pay 50% of the total cost of the credits for which they have enrolled, by bank transfer or using a barcode at the bank; the remaining 50% is split into nine monthly installments, from October to June, payable by direct debit using the bank account indicated at the time of enrollment.
School alumni are given a 15% discount on the enrollment fee (non-cumulative discount). This discount will only apply to students who enroll full-time for all the credits required in the course. Prices are updated each academic year. Once enrollment is complete, the amount paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
Students must bring the following documentation with them when they enroll:
- Certified photocopy of the qualification that gives them access to the course or documentary proof that the relevant document has been requested.
- Original official academic certificate or certified copy of the bachelor degree transcript.
- Current account number for direct debit (if payment is to be by installments).
When a student enrolls, a contract for the provision of teaching services is formalized between the student and the Blanquerna Foundation, which is legally binding from the time of payment. Payment includes the corresponding insurance and, for students under the age of twenty-eight, compulsory academic insurance. If a student declines to take up a place, he/she will lose in full any amount he/she has paid.
The student accepts the rules for the use of computer services established by the Blanquerna Foundation. The student's personal data will be included in an automated file under the responsibility of the Blanquerna Foundation, so that this contract can be formalized and fulfilled. Students should note that their data may also be used to inform them about the future activities of the Foundation, or for the institution to send them publications. In accordance with the provisions of Organic Law 15/1999 on the protection of personal data, students have the right to access their data to update, rectify or cancel them, or object to their use, by sending a letter, indicating which right they want to exercise.
This section is a summary of the general conditions for enrollment. It is only for guidance and therefore has no contractual value. In the event of any discrepancy, the provisions of the general conditions for enrollment specified in the receipt generated at the time of enrollment will prevail; this receipt formalizes the contract between the student and the Blanquerna Foundation; students can consult it on the intranet whenever they wish.
The School reserves the right to ask candidates with qualifications obtained outside the EHEA for a letter from their university, embassy or consulate to certify that their studies enable them to pursue a master degree or graduate studies. Students are responsible for having all the official documentation necessary for their stay in Spain while studying at the School. Applicants can ask for a pre-acceptance document attached to the pre-enrollment receipt to initiate applications for visas or scholarships or carry out any other administrative procedure. Under no circumstances does this document guarantee a place if all the access and admission requirements are not met. Once applicants have been accepted and enrollment is complete, they can request a letter of admission from the Academic Secretary, if required, by paying the corresponding fee.
We make it easy, so you can choose whatever you want to study
Studies can be paid in installments and without any interest. At the time of enrollment, 50% of the total cost of the enrolled credits is paid. The remaining 50% is split into nine monthly installments (from October to June) payable by direct debit.
Scholarships and grants Blanquerna
Committed to quality to ensure an environment of educational excellence
Quality assurance guarantees a learning environment in which program content, learning opportunities, and services and facilities meet established standards.
- Final report 2015
- Verified report 2015
- AQU assessment of University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising
- Notification of Verification University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising
- Notification of Accreditation University Master Degree in Art Direction
- Evaluation of Application University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising
- Accreditation of University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising
Degree follow-up report
- Degree follow-up report University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising 2011-2012
- Degree follow-up report University Master Degree in Art Direction in Advertising 2012-2013
Center follow-up reports
- Survey of student satisfaction with online education
- Report on results of student survey on online academic activity and COVID-19
- Blanquerna School of Communication and International Relations bachelor and master degrees student participation and satisfaction
- Survey of student satisfaction with School services 2019
- AQU preliminary report on graduate satisfaction 2019
- First-year student satisfaction with URL 2015
- Fourth-year student satisfaction with URL 2015
Faculty surveys (research and teaching staff)
- Teaching and research staff satisfaction survey results tables 2019
- Teaching and research staff qualifications satisfaction survey results tables 2019
- Teaching and research staff survey participation results 2019
- Teaching and research staff satisfaction 2015
- 2013 Teaching and research staff satisfaction
Administrative and service staff surveys
- Service staff survey (comparison of URL and Blanquerna results) 2015
- Administrative and service staff satisfaction survey summary tables 2019
- Administrative and service staff satisfaction 2015
- Administrative and service staff satisfaction 2013
Evidence relating to employer satisfaction
- School of Communication and International Relations interns employer satisfaction report 2019–2020
- School of Communication and International Relations interns employer satisfaction report 2017–2018
Job bank and careers
- Bachelor degree employment rate studies 2019
- Official master degree employment rate studies 2019
- Bachelor degree employment rate studies 2018
- Official master degree employment rate studies 2018
- Official master degree employment rate studies 2017
- Bachelor degree employment rate studies 2017
- Employment rate studies 2014-2018
URL Student mobility
As the European Union points out, gender equality is not only a matter of social justice but also affects the results of teaching and research. Promoting gender equality in research and innovation is one of the European Commission's commitments, and it supports the explicit integration of a gender perspective in Horizon 2020 projects. However, this recommendation is often poorly understood and misapplied. Various documents are presented here with a view to contributing to a better understanding and application of the gender perspective in teaching and research.